Monthly Archives: January 2010

I tried a commercial case for my Kindle, but it just wasn't what I wanted, so I decided to make my own.  I dug out some vintage fabric from Knitt'n Kitten, a button from a batch I bought garage saling last summer, and some roving from my friend Marge, who had saved it from her mother's stash.  I did use new felt to line the case, and I bought some hemp strapping.

It isn't perfect, as I'm no seamstress (I'm taking my first class this Saturday, in hopes of remedying the situation), but it does fit the Kindle like a glove, and it looks pretty darned good.

Kindle Case, Flap Side

Kindle Case, Flap Side

The only minor disaster was the button.  I started out with a hand-stitched button hole.  It ended up looking like a surgery scar, and the button sagged.  I replaced it with a velcro closure, but I couldn't part with the button, so I felted a little background for it, and used it to cover the horrible button hole.

Kindle Case, flower side

Kindle Case, flower side

I'm especially happy with the flower.  You can't tell from the pic, but the petals turned out with a nice shape.

I actually used my sewing machine, and the world didn't end.  I have ordered an embellisher, and have plans for the two machines.  Together, they will make me pretty things.